Thursday

Growing up makeup

I was just thinking today about how i grew up and how my tastes changed throughout time. I think i first started to buy my own makeup sometime in high school, around 16 years old.

The first foundation i ever got was in fact intended to be my mum's but i got the wrong colour which my mistake (ooops) fitted me perfectly (or so i thought at the time). It was a foundation from Body Shop, at that point i thought it to be very expensive and after a while i realized it was too dark for my complexion. But all in all i wore it proudly at school, boasting that i actually bought something from Body Shop. My friend used to point out for me, each day on our way to school, that i missed out my eyelids, or my lips, or my neck (being darker than my skin it always looked like a mask if i didn't apply it carefully on all the areas of my face). But this was my first real step in the world of makeup and i was damn proud!

After a while i found myself wanting more and more and... more and so i saved up money from my daily food allowance and went on to Miss 60 (they were cheaper) and bought my first mascara and my first eyeshadow (it was blue). Shortly after that i bought a bottle of nail enamel, of a color even today i'm ashame to talk about: sparkling green. Though i never wore I used to keep it near my bed and take great pride in it. Mum threw it out a couple of years ago and she told me that she discovered a bottle with a dreadful color in it that turned to stone. Ahhhh... that was mine. :)

It was not short till i realized that maybelline is not so much more expensive than miss 60. All the commercials on TV attracted me and made me want so badly the famous Great Lash mascara. Maybelline was just launching in Romania so i pleaded my case to mum, finally got the money and went to the first store which had this product. After that i used to smile for days and always wear my new long lashes (even to bed... yeah, i know that was wrong).

The Maybelline obsession lasted one year sharp, one beautful year in which i had bought a little of everything from them (i still got a lipstick from then... it's expired but i just cannot throw it away). One day i got tired of Maybelline and already thought of myself as worthy of something else, something better so i chose L'Oreal. I bought foundations, I bought blushes, i bought concealers and saw myself as grown up. For a long period of time my cosmetics bag was full of L'oreal and Bourjois. On my 20th b-day i remember i did my makeup on the train with my girlfriends near, and they all admired my collection of cosmetics... that was probably the high point of my b-day.

One day, my dad comes home with perfumes and with a sample of Dior mascara. That day my world as i knew it ended. I discovered that there was more than what i had been using, and that that more was so appealing. From my first paycheck i bought the big Dior Mascara. Then i bought a Dior concealer. I felt like buying everything Dior has to offer.

Today i stoped having obssesions and i started spending money intelligently. I use Clarins foundation, Estee Lauder powder, Maybelline and Sephora blush,










Ysl concealer,Dior mascara, whatever eyeshadows i like and other stuff that's not so important.

I'm very satisfied of my cosmetics bag... well, that will be until something new will appear in front of my eyes. :D

No comments: